Friday, March 18, 2011

Cookoff-Winning Veggie Chili


Earlier this week I posted the following recipe from Whole Foods and tonight I had the opportunity to give it a try! Yum! The only problem I had with this recipe I that I have a hard time following recipes. Not because they are hard to follow but because I have more fun making them my own. I loved how it turned out but I did make a lot of changes. I will note my changes in orange below.





Cookoff-Winning Veggie Chili (Mine was more veggie with a little meat)
 (Will post a photo ASAP)

Serves 4 to 6
This uniquely rich chili combines warm spices and chocolate — like a Mexican mole sauce with traditional vegetarian chili ingredients. Delicious with fresh corn-studded corn bread and maple butter and a crisp, light green salad. Serve garnished with sour cream and avocado slices, if desired. Veggie chilies cook much quicker than meat based ones. If you want to simmer this for a while, turn to low and add another cup of broth.
Ingredients
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained (or kernels from 1 ear corn) (I did not include any corn because I cannot eat it right now. But I think is would be yummy in it)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided (I did not measure this out)
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced (about 3 cups) (I used about 2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
(I used my garlic press for this)1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped (Used only 1/2 Onion) 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced, more or less to taste (Next time I will use 1 whole jalapeño) 1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
(I did not use this because I forgot to buy some! Oops)1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I used much more chili powder!!! Use to taste)Sea salt and black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
(Used 3 cans of a bean trio)1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted or regular diced tomatoes with juices (2 cans)1 cup gluten-free vegetable broth (chicken broth)1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (completely forgot to put this in!) 2 tablespoons dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (two small handfuls)
I also added
3 small yellow squash
1 pint mushrooms
1 bell pepper
1/4 (?) ground Turkey
1 Can on Tomato Sauce (not sure if this was a good idea. Next time I might just add more diced tomatos)
Served with shredded pepper jack cheese on top
Method
In a large heavy skillet, roast corn kernels over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet over medium heat and cook eggplant with a pinch of salt until golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.


In a large saucepan, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeño, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth and lime juice. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in corn and eggplant. Add chocolate and stir just until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.
In a large skillit I sauted garlic and onion in olive oil. I then added all the veggie and covered till soft. I then added all the spices to the veggie
In a separate skillet I made the turkey sausage seasoning it with a little more of the spices listed.
Once veggies were done I added in the mean, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and chocolate (and a lot more red chili powder to taste).


No comments:

Post a Comment